Monday, November 29, 2010

A Decade of Memories

Ten years ago today I was set apart to be a full-time missionary for my church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I tried to humble myself and become more teachable and open to the promptings of the holy ghost. I decided one of the best ways to learn more about God and his church was to serve a 2 year mission.
I decided to serve a mission after turning 19 years old. I did all the necessary things to prepare myself spiritually to be able to take on the task of becoming the lords servant. I had no idea where I would serve. I didn't care where I served, though I did have a preference to learn a new language and go abroad. If I was going to go abroad I really wanted to learn Spanish, because it would benefit me greatly since there are a lot of Hispanics I would be able to communicate with in Utah once I returned home.
I did everything necessary to get ready and soon my papers were sent to the church headquarters. It only took a week and a half to receive my call. I had a feeling that I would go to Spain, but wasn't sure. Sure enough, the first week of August 2000, I was called to serve in the Bilbao Spain Mission.
My mission covered the Northern coast of Spain from Portugal to France. I Spent 3 weeks in the MTC in Provo Utah and 6 weeks in the CCM in Madrid Spain. I then spent my next 22 months in 7 different cities along the northern coast of Spain.
I have to say that learning Spanish was extremely difficult. Probably the most difficult thing I have ever learned in my life. It took a lot of studying, practice and frustration to get to where I am today. I remember how I would talk to people on the streets of Spain and ask them if they would be kind enough to speak with me, so I could practice my Spanish. I would tell them that my Spanish was limited, so they would have to listen to what I had to say. That's when I'd share with them my Spanish vocab that only consisted of gospel talk. It was great. Once I got to the field, I learned very fast by speaking to people everyday, and studying Spanish for two hours a day on top of that.
Living in a foreign country for two years was something I was proud of doing, and will never forget the good and bad experiences I had. It was all worth it, and I saw and learned many things that have since enriched my life and my understanding of the world.
The wonderful memories have become a little faded, but they will never be forgotten.What an incredible time of my life it was to be so spiritually in-tune and act as a representative of Jesus Christ daily to spread the gospel among the Spanish people. It was not an easy task, but worth every tear and drop of sweat shed. I loved the people. For the most part, they were very tolerant and respectful.

3 comments:

The Nixons said...

you look like such a little pee wee!

{irene} said...

loved this entry!!!!!!!!of course!

MOMster said...

Awesome post. I'm glad you were able to serve a mission. :)