Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Demo Day at Brighton

I hit the slopes of Brighton up today with my buddy Ryan in search of some powder. We were able to find plenty of that and much more. Today was probably the sickest snowboarding experience I've ever had, because there was a little of everything you could ever ask for all in one.
It all started with the Quad Wednesday deal where you get a lift ticket for $20 if you donate a toy for tots. Can't beat a $20 all day lift pass in comparison with the $62 regular all day pass price tag.
This day also tasted delicious. The guys at the Vans tent were making and giving out free food. It was delicious! Waffles on a stick, hot dogs, and other goods made it well worth being up there. Not to mention that some of the companies there, such as Skull Candy, were giving out free swag.
Aside from that deal, today was a demo day. I have been yearning to try out the latest technology that companies have been using in competition to have the sickest ride on the mountain. I was a little blown away seeing what extremes some companies have used in order to have a competitive edge on the market.
Nitro, K2, Lib Tech, and Arbor. I tested all reverse camber boards, or commonly called Rocker boards.I was able to test ride 6 different snowboards including my brand new Rossignol Split Twin board that is great for all mountain riding, and gives a lot of energy going in and out of turns and ollie-ing. It's a solid board that I picked up for $130... you can't beat that kinda price for a rock solid snowboard anywhere.
Aside from my new board, I demoed other boards that all run from $500-$700 dollars.
I started out with the NitroT1 board. It seemed great. My normal board is a regular camber board, so riding a reverse camber was just different. The difference is a umbrella kinda shape compared to a U shape if that makes sense. The base was bad on it and it slowed me down. I like a base that doesn't always need to be waxed. But it handled decently. The bindings they put on the board had air cushions on the heel and toe part of the binding. That was nice.
The Arbor Coda board won the board of the day for me and Ryan. It seemed to be just as responsive as you would want a board to be. Attached to the board were Flux ds45 bindings that allow the biding to twist left or right, but stiff from front to back, so i think that helped to make initiating a turn feel like you were cutting through butter. Very nice. I believe this board was partially made from bamboo, and it just also felt really light.
The next board was an Arbor Del Rey board that was a regular camber board. It seemed great to me, like any other regular camber board. The bindings weren't set up equally apart, so I didn't ride it long.
I then moved over to K2 to demo their Turbodream board. It seemed like a chill board, but they put these Uprise bindings on there that had a one ratchet tighten up the heel and the toe strap kind of an operation. I wasn't a fan of that crap technology. It just felt uncomfortable for some reason. Wasn't horrible, but just wasn't a fan.
The last board was a Lib Tech Banana Magic board (wide). Now this board I thought was going to be insane, cause the rep kept talking about how the technology and construction of the board was one of a kind. The owner of the company went to Russia to collect basalt mineral from a volcano that was brought back and used in a synthetic fiber used in the base of this board. No fiberglass.
Unfortunately they didn't use any of their fancy bindings with this board. They put Ryan's old crappy bindings on it, so that made it a little tough to get a better feel for it. Neither Ryan or I were impressed with this board though. We were disappointed and thought it was a little heavy and not as responsive for being a rocker board. It looked sick though and had wavy, serrated edges. It may be Eco friendly and super durable, but just didn't feel the the smoothness of what they put into making the board. It's possible a shorter board might have been better. It was a 159. It was still great, but was still the least favorite board of the day.
I also demoed some Van boots.. They were decent, while Ryan tried out some 32 boots. He said they felt like a cast and were straight crap, but he has a size 13 foot, so who knows? Maybe they don't make good big boots?
As much as I would have thought there wouldn't be a difference in the different boards using the same technology, but surprisingly each board had a different feel to it. It wasn't a huge difference within the same technology boards, but noticeable enough to feel the difference. Overall this day turned out awesome and I only hope there will be more days like this in the future.

2 comments:

MOMster said...

I'm SOOOOO jealous right now!!! It's not fair that you should have all the fun. Gah. I'm glad you were able to enjoy tons of powder and try out several boards (oh, I'm feeling the envy), eat good food and have a great time. I wish that I could go boarding this year, but chances are I won't be going. (Sad face).

Justin Nixon said...

Hey Mary, thanks for the comment. If you don't think you'll be going snowboarding this year, just team up with me. I go often, so feel free to tag along with me sometime and you can go.. You're more than welcome to come along with me and my friends.