Monday, November 22, 2010

What The Melon?

This past Fall I was introduced to a whole new world of Melons that I never knew existed.I ate two new kinds of melons I've never heard of, and I have only begun to scratch the surface of the 17 + different types of melons that I learned exist. For some reason, the only melons that I'm familiar with are the conventional Cantaloupe and Honeydew melons that can be found abundant at any local grocery stores throughout the summer months.

Why is it that nobody has ever told me there were other types of more gourmet melons in existence? My favorite fruit of all times are Melons. Water Melon and Cantaloupe are pure deliciousness to my taste buds.

As I was driving back home from a 3 day work trip to New Mexico during the first week of October, a guy I work with wanted to stop in Green River, Utah on our way back to Orem just to buy some melons that I have never heard of. I was a little doubtful at first that everything he said about these melons would be true. He said that Fall is the season for the Cranshaw and Israli melons and that they make Cantaloupe taste bland. Well... He was right. I bought one of each, brought them home and was quickly blown away by the flavor of the two; so juicy and yummy that I was about ready to make the nearly 2 hour drive to Green River just to buy me some more. While these two melons are comparable to Cantaloupe in taste, they look and taste different for many reasons.

The Cranshaw Melon is a popular melon that is a cross between the Persian and Casaba melons. And are known to have somewhat of a subtle spicy undertone to the sweet flavor. These melons taste best during the Fall.

The othe
r Melon I was introduced to is called the Israli Melon, or Ogen Melon. This melon comes from Israel and is highly popular among melon lovers. Even though a substitute for these two melons could be honeydew or cantaloupe, they are one of a kind in flavor, and extra juicy.

I highly recommend them, and I'm really glad I was able to learn about them and devour them when I got home. By far, this was one of the most memorable experiences of this past summer, because I could not believe that I have never heard of, or tasted these types of melons in the 30 years of my life! I can't wait for next year, so I can find me some more.

No comments: