Wednesday, April 21, 2010

In ReAL Time














I recently began a Media Relations internship with one of Major League Soccer's most prestigious teams, Real Salt Lake. RSL is the defending champions this year after winning the 14th MLS Cup title in 2009.

The 2010 home opening game kicked off April 10th at the Rio Tinto Stadium, where they played the Seattle Sounders.
I am amazed at how much work goes on behind the scenes in order to make one of these MLS games happen. There are guys running around before the game getting everything from camera/audio equipment set up, fireworks, to concessions, and so much more. Not to mention the parking and ticket guys. I'm curious how many employees work for RSL.







My work station is upstairs in the Press Box room. There are numerous reporters and photographers who belong to a number of newspapers, blogs, or are hired by the MLS who all have their own spot at a desk where they can plug in their laptop and watch the game. I got to be the stats guy for the Seattle Sounder's sports commentator. I wore a headset like the guy in the picture and listen to the the guys in the TV trailer, and the commentator at the same time, all while watching the soccer game. Basically I kept tract of stats and informed the commentator of anything unusual or interesting that stood out during the game. Since I couldn't talk to him during the game, I had to write notes and pass them to him. I also got to go downstairs to the Press Conference room after the game to assist the journalists with anything else and listen to them question coach Kreis.

The atmosphere during the game was great, and it was just exciting to be there where everyone there is happy and loves soccer. David Archuleta even came out during half time to woo the crowd, while making the wish come true for a youngster from the Make a Wish Foundation, by singing with him on the field.
Most of my internship will take place during home games. However, I'll be able to work on a few other assignments away from the game which include: statistical research, and writing press releases for the RLS and Rio Tinto Stadium events.
This home game ended with a tie, but I'm eager to learn, and excited for RSL. I hope they play well to defend their championship title. My main goal is to try to learn as much as I can about how PR in a major league organization works, and what all goes on behind the scenes. This is a great opportunity, and hopefully my experience will be useful in gaining future employment.

1 comment:

MOMster said...

It sure is a great opportunity. I'm sure your experience will aid you in the future. Good post! I have always had admiration for the RSL. Soccer is an awesome sport!