Saturday, April 24, 2010

The Country Dancer

I began this year by setting some goals to accomplish during 2010. One of those goals was to learn how to country dance. I'm 29 and I had only been country dancing once before this year, and it wasn't a pleasant experience, because I had no clue what to do. Since then, I've had opportunities to go, but being that I don't know how to dance, I don't go. I have always been really big into Hip-Hop dancing, and I can throw down some pretty creative moves that stun everyone I'm with.
I have been fortunate enough to have a good friend teach me, who is an excellent country dancer. She has shown me high-tech dance moves that involve spins, dips, twirls, the use of quick feet, and flexible arms in order to accomplish the desired dance move.
The term "country dancing" is a loose term which is used to describe a variety of dances. The term "Country Dance" in the western European tradition is believed to originate from pre-16th century folk dances, where along with the music that accompanied them, were brought to America by the people of the British Isles, continental Europe, and Africa.
There are so many different types of country dance moves that range from Line Dances, Two Step, Traveling Cha-Cha, Polka, Waltz and so much more, that it is difficult to remember which move to do next. The most important part of country dancing is to first have a dance partner. If you don't have a partner, then you won't get very far. Traditionally the man sets the pace of the dance, establishes the length of stride, and decides when to change steps, and the woman follows. I'm still trying to figure out how to lead the woman and it has been tough, because it seems that every girl I have danced with has a new move that I have never done before. My dance partner has been the lead in our duo, but gradually I've been taking the reins. I now know over a dozen different moves, and I have only scratched the surface of the various dance moves that exist.
I have found the most valuable skill that can be obtained, is one that doesn't require the use of anything materialistic. You can travel anywhere, dance with anybody, and be able to use dance to woo anyone around the world. This skill may eventually turn into a talent, which in return becomes a very priceless attribute that can be pulled out of your bag of tricks wherever you go.

1 comment:

MOMster said...

And you woo the ladies with your bag 'o' tricks, I have no doubt. Haha. Great job on learning to country dance! How awesome!!!