Sunday, March 8, 2009

So I volunteered instead

Saturday was the big day of the red cross 5k. I really wanted to run in it. The days leading up to the race i tried to get myself in shape. I did a little bit of unicycle riding. It is a big work out. I have been also working out the past couple months doing at least 50 pull-ups a day and sit-ups 3-5 days a week.

I decided to get out and run two days before the race. I ran a little over two miles and my knee nearly lasted. I wanted to keep going, but the pain was way too strong to keep going. I'm blaming my years of construction work on this injury. I recognize the feeling that comes to the outside part of my knee area when i do things like hike down a mountain. I can recall times at work where it would hurt a little bit after working a tough day. Normally i don't run, but now i realize why i don't.
My knee took a couple of days to recover and felt bruised, but now it's feeling better.

So I went to the 5k race and volunteered. I helped out where i could getting gift bags ready and signs, and getting people out to locations. I got interviewed by BYU tv for volunteering. My friend Megan has spent 45 of her own personal hours doing PR for the Red Cross in preparing for this race. I helped her out a little bit. She said that they got 7 local newspapers to write articles on the releases that she sent out. And got a couple of public service announcements on the radio.. She did a lot of other things to help out.. She did a very good job. There were around 350 runners sign up to run the race, and around 30 to 40 people who volunteered. They had fruit, drinks, and Pizza after the race, and a live band playing. It was a good morning.

1 comment:

kimmers said...

Justin you look like such a little womanizer! LOL, you work it. :)