Sunday, March 29, 2009

Festival of colors

This weekend I got the opportunity to learn more about a Hindu religion at the Sri Sri Radha Krishna Temple in Spanish Fork along with 15,000 other festival attendees according to The Salt Lake Tribune. I have always heard about the festival of the colors, and finally this year got to go. Basically the Hindu's believe that the "throwing of the colors" is the best way to celebate the arrival of Spring by throwing colored aromatic powder up in the air, or at your neighbor. It was interesting and a lot of fun. I'm glad I had my sunglasses on the whole time, because i got plenty of face shots. The taste isn't great either.
Aside from the activity the leader of the group taught everyone a little about the religion. He said that most of the time people spend at church will just put them to sleep. He also mentioned that this colors festival will give you "more spiritual advancement than 4 hours of sitting in church." I'm having a tough time believing that, but it was probably more fun than an average evening of activities.

The festival starts out with a bonfire where they burn some kind of witch. After that, the throwing of the colors starts. It was kinda funny, cause everyone kinda jumped the gun and started throwing it around before we were suppose to. The director was shouting on the mic, "not yet, wait!" haha it was pretty funny. Eventually everyone calmed down, and we started over again the way it was suppose to be done.
I tried meeting up with my friends there, but they didn't take into consideration crazy traffic, and therefore didn't show up on time. Luckily i was with my friend Crystal, so we were able to enjoy the festival. Hopefully next year all of my friends can make it out, so i can throw powdered paint at them and have fun. It's like "la Tomatina" but without tomatoes.

2 comments:

Katherine said...

Looks like fun. I'll have to check it out next year.

kimmers said...

Thanks for the shoutout! I definitely can't wait for next year. I will for sure cover you with paint! :)