Saturday, December 11, 2010

An Attitude of Gratitude Reminder

After speaking with a good friend of many years the other day, I decided that I had better start count my blessings and be grateful for them. I hadn't talked to her in almost a year (i'll call her L). I asked her what she had been up to this past year and she responded optimistically that things are going great now . Ever since returning from a cruise this past week, she seemed to think that life was going to treat her a little better now. I was a little curious. Better? Isn't life always just grand? Apparently I had gotten use to my life that is full of adventure, has zero drama and not so much stress compared to my friends'.
She began to tell me all of the things/misfortunes that had happen to her this past year. I decided that I would share some of her experiences, so others can compare their life stresses to hers and maybe feel a little more grateful for the hand the lord has dealt them.

L had found out earlier this past year that her mom had developed stage 3 of breast cancer and had to go through lots of chemo. Her little niece died. Her good friend and co-worker was killed on a 4 wheeler accident. The house across the street from her business exploded earlier this year blowing out all the windows to her place and sending shrapnel into her business. She had surgery on her nose and head, got into a car accident a couple weeks ago and broke her nose on the steering wheel. She lost her best friends and roommates, because they became addicted to drugs. Had to deal with another roommate who had to be rushed to the emergency room multiple times due to her eating disorders that caused her to have seizures. The list goes on and on, but these are all I can remember. I'm sure i'm forgetting other things that she has experienced.
L's life experiences over this past year have really helped me to put into perspective the things that should, and do matter most to me. I'm never going to complain again about how crappy it is to not to have a great job, or be 30 and single. I'm grateful for what I got, and thankful that the Grim Reaper doesn't like to lurk near by everywhere I go.
I'm glad that God has decided to lighten my burdens. So what if my life is mediocre? At least I don't have to live with the stress of my friend L. She's a real trooper and hero in my book.

1 comment:

MOMster said...

I know all about the Grim Reaper. I'm sorry your friend has had to endure so much heartache and pain. It's a hard thing to go through and I wish her luck in her life. It's a good reminder to always count our blessings because we never know when we won't have them any longer.

Thanks for a great post, Justin. I appreciate it.