Monday, June 14, 2010

ReAl Fun

Last week ReAl Salt Lake battled L.A. Galaxy at the Rio Tinto Stadium. This was no regular game. This was the biggest game of the season for RSL. RSL took the MLS Cup playing against L.A. last year, so I'm pretty sure L.A. still carry a grudge against RSL for kicking their space junk trash during a PK shootout in that final game. This game was algo a big one, because L.A. is an undefeated team this season. 10 wins, which make them the best team in the MLS. When on the road, no team has scored against the Galaxy.
I was in charge of official stats. I regularly work with the commentators like David James from Channel 2 and tv producers to make sure accurate information is not only said on the air, but televised during the game.
Soon after the game began there was a a sudden thunderstorm that struck the area and the game had to be delayed about 30 min. due to lighting. After the lightning break was over, the game continued. The stadium was packed. I have never seen more attendees at the stadium. Just under 20,000 RSL fans in attendance.
Since the game happened nearly a week ago, I'm sure you all know the outcome already. RSL scored a controversial goal in the 80th minute. L.A. claim that the point scored by Morales was scored offsides. It clearly wasn't offsides after the ball rolled to him after it bounced off of an L.A. defender. Goal! Not only did the fans cheer like crazy, but RSL players ran around the field with their shirts off, feeding their fans with excitement. That's how much this goal meant to them. RSL ended L.A.'s winning streak and sent them home scoreless. I have noticed I have been getting way into soccer when I jumped out of my seat and cheered. Immediately I was hushed by other media guys around me, making me feel like a retard. I forgot about the no cheering in the press box rule. Oh well. RSL has won their 7th game straight at home. These games are very exciting to watch.
There were more than the average amount of people in attendance at this game, because American Idol winner David Cook performed after the game. I had just walked out of the press conference room, when suddenly I rubbed shoulders with David Cook in the hallway. I was done with my duties, so I decided to follow him and his entourage to the field. I kinda felt like a clingy fan for a little bit, because there was nobody else around. I watched him and the band get pumped for their performance. I scrambled to pull out my camera and recorded a short video clip of them walking down the hallway. Too bad he was on his way to perform, otherwise I would have stopped him to get a picture with him. He put on a great show and my friends and I enjoyed the show.

No comments: