Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Recording Studio Time With RS&RB

One of the most common reoccurring dreams that I have ever had is one where I am a famous singer. Ever since I was Knee-high to a grasshopper, I have wanted to be a musical performer. During my high school years I decided not to sing. I tooted on a saxophone and joined the drum line and hacked on a drum for a couple of years for assemblies, sports games, tournaments and parades. Sadly as I grew older I found that the chances of becoming a famous rock star was slim to none. After high school I figured out that I loved to sing. I mostly sang in my car or the shower. I think my love for Boys II Men, Backstreet Boys and Nsync had something to do with it. I have since made a life-long goal to try to sing where I can. I have sang in different types of choirs and even in an octet group that I have been in for about a year.


























This past week I had the opportunity of a lifetime. Being friends with guys in a locally popular musical group pays off if you have had a dream like mine. I was invited to a recording studio in Orem to help Ryan Shupe and the Rubberband to record a couple songs for their upcoming album. Now, my part in these songs is not anything too spectacular, but needless to say, I got to have my voice recorded with some awesome professional artists. That pretty much fulfilled my lifelong dream.

I did back up vocals and ambiance sounds like finger snapping and clapping for a song called "Beep, beep, beep" and did other ambiance party sounds for another song called "New Shoes." My part is going to be during a bass solo halfway through the song. I had a lot of fun and learned a lot about what is required in order to produce an album. Ryan Shupe and the Rubberband are an extremely talented group of guys. They are producing everything on their own. The only thing they are not doing is mixing the final product.
Be sure to check out the album on itunes or in stores late May 2010. For more information about the band, visit their webpage @ shupe.net

2 comments:

mardymeans said...

Hey Justin! It's really cool that you got to record with Ryan Shupe! You have always liked to sing so that's really awesome! BYTW my blog is lifewiththemeans, not themeansfamily! I totally spaced it! Anyway, it was really good seeing you at Dave's wedding, and I look forward to keeping updated on your blog!! Check mine out when you can!

Unknown said...

Hey Mardy, Thanks for the comment. I'll be able to be updated with you as well now I know you have a blog. It was nice seeing you again to. I see you every so many years, but we never really get to talk much, so i'm glad we got to talk the other night. You have a beautiful family.