Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Beware of Seemingly Innocent Snakes

I heard this story once in some kind of church function and forgot about it, but was reminded of the story when an old friend retold it to me. I think it's a great story that teaches a valuable lesson. It goes more or less like this...
One day there was an Indian boy who was hiking around in the mountains. He stumbled across a rattle snake. This rattle snake had wondered off far from where its home was, and made its way to the top of this mountain where it was too cold for the snake. The snake asked the Indian boy, "I'm weak and can't survive up here. Would you be kind enough to carry me down to the bottom of the mountain?"The Indian boy quickly replied by saying, "No, I can't do that! You're a snake and will bite me as soon as I pick you up." The snake replied by saying, "I am helpless and need your help to bring me back to the bottom. I promise I won't bite you if you carry me to the bottom." The Indian boy agreed to carry the snake to the bottom. He picked up the rattle snake and put him in his bag and began hiking toward the bottom of the mountain.
After reaching the bottom, the Indian pulled the snake out of the bag. Just as he pulled him out the snake bit him. "Ouch!" replied the Indian. "Why did you bite me? You promised me that you would not bite me." The snake replied by saying, "You knew what I was before you picked me up. You should have left me up there if you didn't want me to bite you."
The moral of this story: Be smart about the choices you make. Stay away from dangerous situations. Pay attention to warning signs, so you can avoid getting hurt. Have you been bitten by a snake?

1 comment:

Brisa said...

Well said bro!