Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Mediation

So I really couldn't think up anything interesting enough to write about this week, so I thought I would write about some things that I do almost every week as a service to the community, and as a requirement for school..
My mediation and negotiation class requires that I come up with 12 hours of mediation. UVSC has a program set up with Provo and Alpine school districts that gives UVSC students a chance to mediate with students who are getting bad attendance in school, or are getting bad grades.
I went to Independence High school this evening, and mediated with 3 students and their moms or dads. Two of them were Hispanic, so it was a mediation in Spanish. It seems that all high school students these days have some problems with going to class. I'm not sure what's going on, but none of these students really have a desire to goto class. It's sad to see, but to take neutral ground on the situation and to get ideas rolling, I usually ask the student what kinds of goals they have, and where they see themselves in the future. They all want to graduate, so why don't they think going to class is important?
I think meeting with college students that made it to where they are is somewhat inspiring for these not so motivated high school students. It's a time in their lives that they are making the transition to becoming a responsible adult. I'm glad I can lend a hand, and try to help these students to set goals for the success of their future.

1 comment:

Shana said...

Good work helping out with mediation. I'm a fan of volunteers...I like your blog background.