Thursday, March 11, 2010

My First Flight











Any kind of flying is exciting, and is a great opportunity to sore like an eagle. My friend and roommate Mike is studying to become a flight instructor. As part of his final test which he will be doing any day, he will need to demonstrate how fly an airplane by giving a lesson. What better way to practice than to give a lesson to a buddy where he can do so comfortably.

This was my first flight lesson and Mikes first time teaching a student. I learned everything from how to run through a preflight checklist, to flying an airplane. We went up in a single engine Piper Arrow airplane with retractable landing gear.

















In a lesson, the instructor explains then demonstrates a maneuver while the student observes. Next, the student is asked to do the exact same thing while being coached by the instructor. First off after take-off, we did two touch-and-goes. I was able to land the plane on the second touch-and-go, and on the final landing. I think all of my flight simulator hours on Flight Simulator X paid off, because Mike was very impressed with how well I did. I think flying runs in my blood, since I have a brother, dad and grandpa who fly or flew airplanes.

After practicing a couple landings, we headed out toward West Mountain to practice two maneuvers, which I can't remember the names of. Basically, you find a stationary object on the ground and use it as a reference as you do certain types of turns.

Flying is much more difficult than I had imagined. You have to pay attention to altitude, speed, wind and possible air traffic in the area while flying.
The air vents inside the plane were left wide open, so it ended up being a really cold flight. We didn't know where the vents were, and didn't want to take the time to find them, so we finished the flight nearly cold as popsicles.

My biggest problem while taxing on the ground was wanting to use my hands to turn the airplane using the yoke. I guess that is a common problem with most all new pilots. You have to get use to using your feet to turn the airplane.

Mike did a really good job on his first flight lesson, and will make a great instructor. I'm highly considering changing my career, so I can fly around more often. It's a lot of fun, but I don't know if my wallet would like the idea. Meanwhile, I'll be thinking about how to make it possible.

4 comments:

MOMster said...

That flight sounds like an awesome experience. I would have crashed the Arrow. Haha. I'm glad Mike was able to take you out and instruct. Good for him AND for you for doing so well. I'm totally envious. I've always had a fascination with flying...probably why I like birds so much.

I hope you find a way to afford flying. I think your focus and intuition would make you a great pilot. :)

kimmers said...

Yay for flying! Dave loved hearing that you are considering becoming a pilot. Good job on not crashing. :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a great time! Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm still jealous though.
~Amber

Laura said...

When you say that you are always looking for an adventure in your "about me" you really are. I've read through several of your blog posts, and wholeheartedly agree that you definitely are adventurous, doing stuff that I only wish I could experience.

You have a new follower :)

~Laura